This article by our Guest Contributor Helen Sian India has a beautiful focus on words of encouragement and strength, specifically how we can find the right phrases, strategies and habits to make the most impact on us. When we give ourselves the time and attention we deserve, truly magical things manifest. We feel more energetic when we wake in the morning, more resilient when something doesn’t go to plan and more confident when embracing change. All it takes is a little awareness, focus and guidance.
Always remember that your present situation is not your final destination. The best is yet to come.
My journey with words of encouragement and strength
I used to be my own worst enemy. My inner self-talk was truly destructive. I’d go into a group situation and think everyone hated me. I’d say something bland and think everyone was judging me. I’d internalize someone else’s bad mood and think it was my fault. And this is all because of my self-talk. Rather than showering myself with words of encouragement and strength, I would berate myself or talk to myself with disdain or facts. Rather than focusing on the positive, or even simply stating the fact of the situation in my mind, I’d nearly always resort to the negative end of the spectrum. This all changed when my Dad died and I realized how truly dark sadness can feel, and how I didn’t want to feel that way any more. I worked with coaches and immersed myself in self-care and yoga and saw that my self-talk was way off.
After playing around with a few different techniques (which imma share with you here) I was able to flip this negative self-talk on it’s head, and replace it with something that felt not only better, but truly life changing.
Start with your thoughts
Before we can jump into words of encouragement and strength, we must work out which words and strategies are going to be the most powerful. That comes with knowing where the little cracks are. If you’re willing to feel better about yourself and your life, over the next couple of days write down your thoughts. Create a wee note in your phone or grab a small notebook and any time a ‘none positive thought’ comes into your head (anything negative really), write it down. After a few days you’ll start to notice a trend or pattern. This is when the magic happens. Have a little read over some of the most common cognitive distortions and you’re bound to find you recognise yourself in a few. Make a note of them and let’s get cracking with what to do next!
How to make words of encouragement and strength work for you
Once you’ve understood where you struggle most when it comes to negative self-talk, we can play around with getting some strategies and habits in place. These common misconceptions around thoughts can dramatically affect how much of an impact words of encouragement and strength work for you, so make sure to give it your best shot. I struggle with personalization, mind reading and catastrophizing most! And because of this, I know that words of encouragement around my perception of other people and the future will create the biggest impact.
Below is a list of words of encouragement and strength that you can pick and choose from, but first work out how you can integrate them easily into your life. My fave is to repeat them every morning, but there are so many ways you can make it work for you:
- Try repeating them when you exercise
- Repeat them in the morning when you’re brushing your teeth
- Repeat them in your mind before you go to bed
- Follow up your meditations with them
- Write a new one down every day or week
- Write them on your calendar or fridge so you see them every day
- Create a screensaver with them on
Have a think about how you could easily integrate them into your day so you can really pack the most punch and get the most benefit. And edit and alter as you see fit!
And the main event…
Words of encouragement + strength every woman needs
- Life has many ways of testing a person’s will, either by having nothing happen at all or by having everything happen all at once
- Instead of giving myself reason why I can’t, I give myself reasons why I can.
- Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway
- Whenever you feel weak, remember the things that made you strong. Whenever you start to doubt yourself, remember those who believe in you
- Just because the past didn’t turn out like you wanted it to, doesn’t mean your future can’t be better than you ever imagined
- Never let the odds keep you from doing what you know in your heart you were meant to do
- Strength and growth come only through continuous effort and struggle
- Nothing is more beautiful than the smile that has struggled through the tears
- Tough times never last, but tough people do
- You have to fight through some bad days to earn the best days of your life
- Difficulties are meant to rouse, not discourage. The human spirit is to grow strong by conflict
- That which does not kill us makes us stronger
- Life is very interesting. In the end, some of your greatest pains become your greatest strengths
- The struggle you’re in today is developing the strength you need for tomorrow. Don’t give up
Now go ahead and make it happen! Celebrate yourself and those around you and begin to feel strong, empowered and incredibly you.
And you don’t have to do it by yourself! Join me and my leading ladies over in Yoga LIVE. We get together 3 x a week and practice the art of self-love and acceptance in our own homes. You deserve to feel strong and capable, and I’d love to see you blossom – join here and let’s do it together.